Mr. Bean Goes to the Swimming Pool( small ad first)
In past newsletters I mentioned quite a few drill and practice programs and apps that I frequently use to improve speech, language and cognition as well as more open-ended/creative products to work on goals such as initiation, turn taking, novel sentence formulation, asking questions, following directions and play.
I realize that not everyone has an iDevice. Today I want to share wtih you some free online videos I have been using in therapy. They can be accessed with an iDevice or just about any computer, tablet or Smartphone that has Internet access. I have selected them because they are generally just a few minutes long and involve humor. I generally watch the entire video once then pause it frequently to interact with my client on a wide variety of goals as we view it again.
Some goals I may have for this session may include:
- Improving joint attention to a task
- Naming items pictured or pointing to appropriate pictures on an AAC device or printed out
- Formulating sentences to describe what they saw
- Remembering details shown
- Asking and answering questions about what happened on the video
- Discussing displayed emotions and practice analyzing the perspective of others
- Reflecting on other situations/scenarios peopel have encountered similar to the one pictured.